Monday, March 29, 2010

a thought from stake conference

We had Elder Christofferson speak at our stake conference in March. And while he had many wonderful and enlightening things to share with us. What I remember most and what gave me the most hope was this sentence. "All you have to do is pray, read and serve." It was such a light bulb moment for me! Like a lifting of a weight.

It simplifies it all for me. Boils it all down to three parts. Pray. Read. Serve. It just hits such a cord with me. If I do these three basic things, all else will follow. I don't need to stress, or worry or fidget. What I am to do will come to me. I will learn it through reading, praying and serving others.

All else are to be done after these things. These are my priorities to focus on and let the other parts of my life fall in line. The dishes, the laundry, the schooling of the boys, the animal care, everything. If I am in tune with the spirit, he will guide me in what I need to be doing. If I am serving others, I will loose myself, to find eternal life and THAT is why we are here. Not to gain earthly glory, but to attain eternal glory.

I find that it's been easier to take a breath and stop the worry and redirect my thoughts, now that I'm focused on prayer and reading. I've got a ways to go in regards to serving, but I am trying and perhaps one day I will feel like I am truly focused on serving, instead of being hit and miss with it. I do feel that I am serving on a daily basis within my family, but I could be doing much more.

And for that additional more, I'll rely on the spirit to help me see ways that I can serve. I know that if I continue to try, it will come.


Daughters of Heavenly Father

Susan W. Tanner

Often the Spirit speaks to us when we pray, read the scriptures, ponder upon the Lord’s mercies to us, receive priesthood blessings, serve others, or feel loved and affirmed by others.
Ensign, May 2007


2 Nephi 32:8

For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.


2 Nephi 32: 3

3 aAngels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, bfeast upon the cwords of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will dtell you all things what ye should do


Mosiah 2: 17

17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn awisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the bservice of your cfellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

No comments:

Post a Comment