Friday, April 2, 2010

quieting the noise

I currently teach RS twice a month. I teach the out of the current manuel. Last year was the one on Joseph Smith and I so appreciate the chance I had to learn about him. And I'm excited to be doing Gospel Principles this year.

We have a very small RS, we usually have 5 women and it's a big group if we have 10! Even with the smaller numbers we have some really, really great discussions. And we can often feel the presence of the Spirit. I'm so grateful for these women and the insights that they bring to our lesson.

For the last couple of months there has been a trend in my lessons. We've had great discussions on the topic, and there has also been a continuing thread running through it all, every time I teach for the last couple of months. And it has centered on reducing the distractions in our lives, being aware of the role that tv, internet, txting, and such are playing in our lives.

So I must need this reminder!

I know that we have a better quality life when I am more concious of the media in our home. I know that we get more done and that we can feel the spirit more easily when we limit our time in front of the TV, on the internet and playing electronic games.

When the boys aren't plugged in on a regular basis we see less fights and more creativity. When I'm not plugged in, I get more done, imagine that!!

Today, I went back over some of my notes that I took last year during sacrament meetings, Gospel Doctrine classes, Relief Society and a Stake Conference. I noticed a talk by our Bishop last year. And some of his comments also reminded me that I need to quiet the noise in our home too.

He made the comment that listen and silent have the same letters in them. That really struck me. He recommended that when we ride in the car we turn off the radio. I have been doing that off and on. Not that I am alone in the car that often...... I do know that by turning off the radio I am able to hear the direction of the Spirit easier and I have had a few experiences with having the spirit teach me directly while I've been driving.

One was a realization (and yes this is elementary, but rocked my world, because I have SUCH a problem with being judgemental) , I was taught that where ever some one was on their path in their life, Heavenly Father loved them, just as much as he loved me in all my failings and that I needed to let go of the judgement and just love those around me. Of course learning it and implementing it, are two vastly different things, as we all know!

For a scripture that speaks to me I chose D&C 88: 118-119


118 And as all have not afaith, seek ye diligently and bteach one another words of cwisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best dbooks words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

119 aOrganize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a bhouse, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;

To me this speaks about what we should be doing, instead of letting all the "noise" in our lives distract us.


"Is Friday evening a frenetic flight to see where the entertainment and action will be? Could our society today produce an Isaac Newton or a Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? Can 85 channels and uncountable DVDs ever fill our insatiable appetite to be entertained? Do any unwisely become addicted to computer games or Internet surfing, thereby missing the richer experiences of great reading, conversations, and enjoyment of music?
I don’t know whether our heavenly home has a television set or a DVD player, but in my mind’s imagery it surely has a grand piano and a magnificent library. There was a fine library in the home of President Gordon B. Hinckley’s (1910–2008) youth. It was not an ostentatious home, but the library contained about 1,000 volumes of the rich literature of the world, and President Hinckley spent his early years immersed in these books. To be well-read, however, it is not necessary to possess expensive collections of literature, for they are available to rich and poor alike in the libraries of the world.
President David O. McKay (1873–1970) was inclined to awaken daily at 4:00 a.m., skim read up to two books, and then commence his labors at 6:00 a.m. He could quote 1,000 poems from memory. He referred to the grand masters of literature as the “minor prophets.” He was a living embodiment of the scriptural admonition to “seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom” (D&C 88:118)."

Our Refined Heavenly Home
Elder Douglas L. Callister Of the Seventy

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to me that I seldom have radio or music on in the car, and only seem to play my favorite CDs, which are mostly church music, on Sundays...I've always wanted to "hear" the natural world around me, which carries over to "hearing" the spirit because I'm able to tune in better. But there is no way I am going to memorize 1000 poems...should have started on that little project about 50 years ago!

    ReplyDelete